A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Farnsworth at your initial dental visit.
At following visits Dr. Farnsworth or the hygienist will perform periodic check-up exams, which will include the following:
- Exposure and Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- TMJ evaluation: Check the TMJ for signs of wear, pain and locking.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are performed on healthy patients who do not have gum disease. If you have signs of gum disease you will need more than just a regular cleaning to restore health to your gums and prevent tooth loss. A regular cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Mesa, Arizona, 85215