Protect Your Teeth and Future Oral Health with Dental Fillings
Dental fillings are used to seal cavities in a tooth after the area has been cleaned and sanitized. Fillings can also restore the structure of teeth after an accident. Common fillings include gold, porcelain, silver amalgam, or tooth-colored composite resin. Tooth-colored fillings are often preferred since the material blends well with the color and luster of natural teeth. Dr. Martin Farnsworth and Dr. Derek Farnsworth offer dental fillings at their office in Mesa, AZ. The restorative treatment has many cosmetic benefits and can be performed in well under one hour.
The Benefits of Dental Fillings
Dental fillings offer both restorative and cosmetic benefits, a few of which include:
- A more attractive smile: Fillings can be used to repair cracked or broken teeth. In addition, individuals with silver amalgam fillings can have those fillings replaced with tooth-colored composite resin.
- Prevention of future dental problems: Once your cavity has been treated, dental fillings prevent bacteria from re-entering the tooth. Dental fillings also protect teeth from other forms of decay.
- Reinforced teeth: Dental fillings prevent future chips and cracks by reinforcing the structure of the tooth. Composite fillings have the added benefit of not expanding or contracting with temperature change.
- Improved chewing function: When your dental filling is placed, one of our dentists will be careful to ensure that the filling fits snugly in your bite. Dental fillings can improve your bite balance and prevent premature wear on adjacent healthy teeth.
- Long-term treatment: Depending on which material you use, dental fillings can last 15 years or more.
The Dental Filling Process
At our practice, we use state-of-the-art imaging technology, including a 3D cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) scanner, to perform our restorative and cosmetic treatments. If you experience dental anxiety or dental phobia, we offer nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation options to help patients feel more comfortable during treatment. For cavity treatments, one of our doctors will first numb the area around the tooth using a local anesthetic.
This restorative treatment also has many cosmetic benefits and can be performed in well under one hour.
We will then use a special instrument or laser to remove the decayed area. Then the cavity space will be cleaned and sanitized before the dental filling material is placed. For tooth-colored fillings, a special curing light will be used to harden the composite resin. The final steps involve polishing the dental filling and carefully assessing your bite.
How to Protect Your Filling
The following tips can help you extend the life of your dental fillings:
- Practice good oral hygiene
- Visit the dentist twice a year for cleanings and exams
- Brush with a toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Avoid biting hard objects, such as ice and candy
- Report cracks in your filling to the dentist
- Floss daily
- Report any changes in the texture of your filling
- Wear a mouthguard while playing active sports
- Address any teeth grinding issues you may have
Schedule Your Exam Today
Dental fillings offer a quick and affordable dental treatment to repair tooth decay. If you are interested in replacing your old silver amalgam fillings with tooth-colored fillings or repairing minor cracks and chips, contact our office online to schedule an appointment. Dr. Martin Farnsworth and Dr. Derek Farnsworth work hard to provide a positive, comprehensive dental experience in an inviting and comfortable environment.